Artisan Coffee Shift Manager Job Description
The Shift Manager is responsible for maintaining a thriving environment, a vibrant customer culture and a healthy team-oriented staff. They execute Artisan Coffee’s high standards and hold the team accountable to these standards. Ideal Shift Managers are people & detail oriented. They possess leadership, organizational, and customer service skills, a knowledge of brewing methods and specialty drinks, and a motivation to keep the store clean and presentable.
Shift Manager responsibilities include assessing what needs accomplished in your shift, prioritizing and delegating tasks, managing barista staff, educating customers on our menu, making recommendations based on customer preferences, up-selling special items and taking orders. The Shift Manager should be flexible to work various shifts throughout the weekly schedule.
This position’s compensation includes hourly wages and tips.
DUTIES WHEN WORKING A SHIFT:
First Priority - Customers:
• Immediately greet customers as they enter
• Engage customers before taking orders (i.e. “How are you today?”)
• Educate customers on menu items and answer any questions they ask
• Discern customer's preferences and make recommendations accordingly
• Take orders with attention to details (i.e. preferences of roast, dairy and syrup)
• Receive and process payments (cash and credit cards)
• Serve prepared food, like cookies, pastries and muffins
• Prepare and serve beverages following recipes
Second Priority - Between Customers:
• Set a positive tone and strong work ethic, leading by example
• Open and close the store (first and last person here)
• Keep your team moving and working, checking for quality and thoroughness
• Set up and complete roasting batches
• Manage syrup and caramel drizzle quantities and make as needed
• Manage storage areas and put away all deliveries when they arrive
• Count and close the cash drawer at night (when working a closing shift), bundle money in the safe for deposits.
• Notice if equipment operates properly and report any maintenance needs
• Comply with health and safety regulations
• Recommend new menu items and communicate customer feedback to Store Manager
• Keep the bar area clean
• Brew drip coffee as needed
• Maintain an empty dirty dish bin
• Wash and put away dishes in the kitchen
• Fill the drinking water container, mason cup tray, and buffet items
• Maintain a clean dining area, sanitizing tables and chairs, and sweeping crumbs on the floor
• Maintain stock of syrups, bar fridge, pastries, bagged coffee and merchandise
• Maintain stock of clean mugs and plates
• Delegate and complete tasks on the checklist (for the appropriate shift) with initials by who did what task, working ahead to ensure completion before the shift is over. Stay until it is completed.
• Complete daily tasks as possible (first shift), and complete before end of day (second shift)
• If there is time and it is appropriate, complete items on the next shift's checklist